Braun is a German brand, which is well known for making high quality electric shavers. Modern Braun electric shavers are all about German engineering and are known world over for their innovative features and excellent performance. Braun electric shavers are all high-end products, with customers vouching for their close, smooth shave, high durability and their ability to provide a most comfortable shave. Another thing that works in favor of Braun shavers is the fact that they are all made in Germany, as opposed to most of the other high as well as low end shavers of other brands, which are made in China.
If you click the button above you will be redirected to Amazon.com. In case you then decide to buy anything, Amazon.com will pay me a commission. This doesn’t affect the honesty of this review in any way though.
The new Braun CoolTec Men’s Shaving System is another impressive addition to Braun’s legacy. Loaded with some unique features, the new Braun CoolTec Shaver manages to stand apart from the other models in its category. It is ideally built for people who have a sensitive facial skin and struggle to get that close shave without irritation or redness of the skin. According to Braun’s advertisement, the Braun Cooltec Shaver is world’s first electric shaver which is designed to put any irritation resulting from using electric shavers on ice. So, does it deliver on its promise? Find out in our comprehensive review of the Braun CoolTech Shaver below:
Key Features of the Braun CoolTec
1) Active Cooling Technology – This new innovation is what sets Braun CoolTec Shaver apart from the other electronic shavers. With its unique Active Cooling Technology, it automatically cools the skin while shaving, thus reducing irritation caused by shaving. It uses an aluminium cooling bar to eliminate the excess heat produced to provide you with a comfortable shave every time. This cooling technology works with the high-tech cutting elements present in the system to efficiently shave the hair, while preventing any burning or itching sensation across your face.
2) Adaptable 3-stage Cutting System – The Braun CoolTec Shaver features an adaptable 3-stage Cutting System that conforms to the various facial contours and provides you with the closest and most comfortable shaving experience. It has three independent cutting elements, that adapt and move over the curves of your face with utmost precision. The two foils are on the exterior and are designed to capture hair growing in any direction. The third cutting element is a blade situated between the two foils, whose job is to cut down the longer hairs before the foils completely remove them. This provides for a comprehensive cleaning of the facial hair, and ensures that you do not have to press the shaver hard to your face or make long, multiple passes.
3) Senso Blade Technology – There is a cool Senso Blade technology built in this shaver, much like Braun 7 series Opti-Foil feature, which captures even those really small and thin growing hairs and cuts them down. The Senso Blades are designed to take care of the minutest of the hairs, no matter which direction they are growing into. This allows the CoolTec shaver to provide that extra bit of close and smooth shave in the end.
4) Precision Long Hair Trimmer – This nifty little add-on, present in the Braun 790cc as well, allows you to trim down that bushy beard or neat moustache of yours with precision. Specifically made for touching up the delicate portions of your facial hair such as your sideburns, moustache or French-Cut beard, the precision trimmer also saves you a few extra bucks which you would have to spend on a separate beard trimmer otherwise.
5) Rechargeable Batteries – Unlike most of the other Braun Electric shavers, the CoolTec has a low recharging time of about 1 hour. While the other Braun shavers take 5-8 hours for a full recharge, the powerful Li-ion batteries of the CoolTec require just about an hour of recharging on which they give you about 50 minutes of shaving time. This means you do not have to worry about recharging the shaver frequently and can take it along on road. However, the cooling feature of the shaver can be used for only 15 minutes on one full recharge.
6) Auto Clean & Renew – This intelligent feature makes the maintenance and cleaning of the Braun CoolTech shaver exceptionally easy and effortless. The handy Clean & Charge system built in the CoolTec allows you to clean up the shaver as well as recharge it at just the press of a button. On placing the shaver into the system and switching it on, the system begins to automatically cleanse the shaver using its Alcohol-based lubricant which both dries and lubricates the blades. It is advised to use the Clean & Charge station frequently, in order to maintain your shaver in good shape over long usage. The alcohol-based lubricant helps in cleaning 99.999% of all germs as well as provides a fresh lemon scent to your shaver. However, you will have to maintain a pack of cartridges (needs to be replaced every 3 months or so) regularly with you, if you are actually going to use this feature much. There is another option of just washing your shaver under the running water too, but it is clearly not as effective.
7) Additional Features – The CoolTec is completely waterproof and washable, so you can take it with you if you like to shave while showering. However, you should not use any gel or foam while shaving with the CoolTEc, as it will render the cooling technology ineffective and might even end up damaging the device. There is also a LED Display at the center-front of the Braun CoolTec shaver that allows you to know the battery charge levels, hygiene status of the blades and the travel lock position – all on a real time basis. You would do well to heed by all the alerts and indications the LED Display provides, if you want the shaver to last long. The Travel Lock feature allows the gadget to be locked safely while travelling, so that the shaver does not get on by itself while it is packed in your bag.
8) Additional Accessories – The package includes a cleaning cartridge to get you started with, apart from the Clean & Charge station and a charging cradle. There is also a very handy travelling pouch for keeping the shaver in while on the road, a smart plug and a cleaning brush. Be sure to put on the protective cap to the shaver while travelling to avoid any damage to the heads. Also, you can carry the cord and charge cradle, instead of the slightly hefty charging station, if you want to travel light.
- Active Cooling Technology;
- Excellent Performance;
- Quick Recharging Time;
- Easy to Maintain and Clean;
- Wet and Dry Shave.
- Short Battery Life (comparatively);
- Cooling feature is still not comparable to using a separate Pre-shave lotion (Amazon Customer Review).
The Braun CoolTec Shaver is definitely worth a try for everyone looking for a high-end product, even though it is ideally suited for people who have a hypersensitive skin. Priced around $100 currently, on Amazon, the CoolTec is both very affordable and offers an excellent value for money. With the reliable Braun brand name and the excellent German engineering at its core, you can rest assured about the durability, quality and performance of the CoolTec Shaver. A great shaver overall!