There are many pros and cons to using both an electric shaver and a razor. A person’s decision on what method they would like to use is typically based on price, comfort, and maintenance. The following list will break down the pros and cons of each method while discussing price, comfort level, closeness of shave, and maintenance.
Electric Shaver vs Razor Comparison
Many people use electric shavers because they don’t like using shaving cream or have a particular sensitivity to shaving creams and soaps. Electric shavers are also good for people who grow thick hair. They are costly but are less money in the long run because you don’t have to replace them often.
Electric Shaver Pros:
- Electric shavers are faster than a traditional razor. This allows the user to avoid having to go over the same spot multiple times.
- Electric razors are portable and can be used anywhere that has a working outlet.
- Electric shavers reduce the chances of getting cut.
- Electric shavers can shave facial hair more accurately than a traditional razor.
Electric Shaver Cons:
- You have to shave more frequently using an electric razor because it does not shave as close as a traditional razor.
- Electric shavers take a lot of practice to learn and may cause irritation for some men.
- Some electric shavers can get pretty loud many people considering that an inconvenience.
- Not all electric shavers can be used both wet and dry, but there are many models that will deliver a great quality shave in both circumstances. Manufacturers such as Philips, Panasonic and Braun produce models that are able of being used both wet and dry.
- Electric shavers cannot be used without electricity or batteries.
- Electric shavers need more maintenance than traditional razors. That is if you opt for one without a cleaning station.
- Electric shavers are more expensive. In the long run tough, you get to save some money with shaving because they don’t have parts that need to be replaced very frequently.
There are a couple different types of razors. The first type of razor is a straight edge razor. The straight edge razor is typically favored by barbers and older men. It takes a lot of practice to use a straight edge razor because it is very sharp. Straight edge razors usually allow the closest shave. Then there is the safety razors which is highly favored by most men because of their close shave and most can last a lifetime if maintained. Cartridge razors are favorites among men who don’t experience excessive irritation from shaving. The cartridges on these razors are replaceable and disposable and require no maintenance.
- Razors are cheap. Especially double edge razors as they last for a very long time.
- Razors are easy to use.
- Razors are easy to travel with.
- Double edge razors stay sharp for a very long time.
- Shaving with razors takes a long time to get used to.
- Cartridge razor blades need to be replaced very often. This can add up to a higher sum and ultimately you’ll end up spending more than necessary on shaving.
- Razors increase the chances of getting cut.
Every person has a different preference when it comes to shaving, depending and different factors. Each method has its pros and cons so it is really hard to point out a winner in the electric shaver vs razor battle. There is no way for you to know which shaving method fits you best without trying each method first. Just remember that the electric shaver is the easiest to use and the most versatile while double edge razors get the closest shave and if taken care of, can last for many years.